If you’re in the market for a new home, there’s a lot to consider. For our family, I’m not sure which was more important – distance to the interstate or proximity to Target – because, priorities. We also wanted to be close to our local city area with all the best restaurants, shops, and entertainment, and we aced all three items! Read on to see what you should think about when you’re on the hunt for your perfect home!
Everyone needs to think about their family and what lifestyle you lead. If you love the idea of not having neighbors and being out in the country or if you can’t wait to have a bustling cul-de-sac with little kids running around, those are the most broad things to focus on when looking at neighborhoods and future homes.
Here’s a more specific list of things to consider when you start to narrow down your search:
- access to the interstate.
- are you near your place of worship?
- how close is your nearest grocery store?
- proximity to your office/place of business.
- is there a daycare you like in your new neighborhood?
- if you go to a gym, is there one nearby or is the neighborhood walk-friendly?
- food – are there good restaurants and bars nearby, will delivery services come to the neighborhood?
A few more considerations if you have children (or plan to in the future):
- proximity to parks.
- is this a family-friendly neighborhood for kids to play with and meet new friends?
- is your child interested in recreational sports and are you close to a town or city with a good program?
- are you close to a library? There are usually really great summer programs and activities to get your kids reading.
- is your pediatrician near you and (I hate to even think about it, but it’s definitely important) is there easy access to a hospital? Granted, it’s a worst-case scenario, but it matters. We learned that this year and while it’s not something I ever wanted to deal with, I’m glad we were close.
I’m sure I’ve missed some things but this is a really good place to start. What did you need to think about when you were looking for your current home? Let me know in the comments below.
Cheers to a happy house hunting experience!