It’s moving season! I’ve been busy helping buyers and sellers get homes bought and sold and that means people are packing up to move out. Barry and I have moved 5 times in 10 years and y’all, it’s a lot. So, I’m going to share one of the most important tips I’ve learned from moving. Pack a “First Night” box or bag or Rubbermaid container, whatever works for you.
If you’re hiring movers and you’re moving out of state or far enough away that you’ll beat the moving truck to your new home, keep that first night box with you. If you’re moving yourself, make sure it’s the last thing on the truck so it’s the first thing you grab when you get to your new place. This will contain everything you need to get situated (as much as possible) in your home that first night.
What goes inside?
First thing’s first! Cleaning supplies! Hopefully, you won’t need to use it all, but I’ve learned that when you think you don’t need it, you will. I recommend:
- paper towels/rags
- cleaning spray
- dish soap
- broom + dustpan
- trash can + trash bags
Next up, things to make the unpacking/maintenance process a little easier:
- box cutter
- screwdrivers + screws
- light bulbs
- shower curtain + shower rod (if needed)
Now, to get comfy:
- air mattress + pump (if you won’t have your bed the first night)
- bedding (sheets + pillows + blankets)
- towels + washcloths (one of each per person)
- toilet paper
- hand towels
- toiletries (makeup + skincare + soap + shampoo + conditioner + toothbrushes + toothpaste)
- electronics (laptop + tablets)
- chargers-I would argue this is one of the most important things to remember 😬
- coffee maker-as important as the chargers!
This list isn’t exhaustive and it doesn’t take into account if you have kids or pets, that’s a whole other blog post! If you think you’ll need more, I recommend going through a regular day and make note of literally all the “necessities” you use. From morning until night and this will give you a good idea. You can always edit if it’s too much. But, this should get you started!
Let me know what I missed in the comments and cheers to moving day!
p.s. always have band-aids…someone will inevitably need one 😉